We all know that going on vacation usually means throwing caution to the wind and enjoying a week (or longer if you’re lucky) of indulgence. This period of carefree gluttony is typically followed by regret and the mourning of your pre-vacation ‘fitter’ self.
Alas, this does not have to be the case! Yes, enjoy yourself while you’re away. Yes, skip the agony of the indoor gym (while you watch the sun shining brightly on the other side of the window pane). Your main goal doesn’t have to be increasing your fitness level or keeping up with your rigorous workout regime…remember, you are on v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n. Try changing your mindset to allow yourself to simply maintain your current state of fitness. This will allow you to still get your heart rate up and burn some excess calories without worrying about your post-trip guilt-trip!
Circuit training is a quick, full body workout and is a great way to increase your heart rate. Take 20 minutes to complete this circuit 1-3X over the course of your vacation, put your mind at ease, and enjoy yourself. You deserve it!
- Complete 3 sets of this circuit
- 20 repetitions of each exercise
1) Prisoner Lunges
- Put both hands behind your head
- Stay tall in your upper body
- 20 reps per leg
2) Staggered Pushups
- In pushup position (either from the knees or from the toes) one hand is directly below the shoulder and the other hand is between hip and breast level.
- 10 reps in this position, switch hand position, and complete the remaining 10 reps.
3) Front Plank with Single-Arm Raise
- Begin in plank position and without letting your hips swivel, lift and fully extend one arm. Place arm back down and lift other arm. Repeat 20 times.
4) Sumo Squats
- Begin standing with feel slightly wider than shoulder width apart and toes slightly pointing outward.
- Squat down (keeping your back flat and torso upright) until your buttocks has dropped slightly below your knees.
- Raise back up and repeat.
5) Single-Leg Hip Raises
- Laying on your back with one knee bent and foot on the floor, the other leg is straight, extending straight in the air above your hips.
- Lift your hips as high as possible into the air, squeezing your gluts, and lower down to the floor. Continue 20x per leg.
- Using either a bed, bench or step, place your hands on the bed (palms down, facing forward) behind your buttocks, and walk our feet forward until your legs are straight.
- Bend at the elbows lowering into a dip position and return to start position
- Repeat this 20x.
7) Alternating Single-Leg V-Sit
- Lay on your back, extending your arms above your head and your legs straight out on the floor.
- Sit up, raising your arms to one leg (while the other stays on the floor) forming a ‘V’ shape with your body.
- Repeat 20x, alternating legs each time.
Gillian Johnson is a CSCS certified strength and conditioning specialist and lead writer for www.LastMinuteVacations.ca. Canada’s source for cheap sell offs and last minute vacations from Moncton, Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, and more!