When taking an all inclusive vacation, there can be a tendency to overeat, overdrink, and overindulge in just about everything. It may seem crazy to think about working out while you are on vacation but it is a great way to get rid of the guilt that accompanies overindulgence. Beach intervals are a great way to burn a lot of calories in a short period of time, so you can get back to enjoying your resort.
So what exactly are beach intervals? Is it when you set an alarm so you can balance your tan every 10 minutes? Not exactly. Beach intervals combine running and walking to provide maximum benefits in the shortest period of time. Here’s how it works:
– Warm up with a light jog for 5-10 minutes
– Pace out 100 meters on the beach and mark the beginning and ending lines
– If you have a watch, start the time and start your sprints on 0:00, 1:00, 2:00, and so on until you reach ten sprints
– After you have sprinted the 100 meter distance, take a light jog back to the starting line
– Try to jog back fast enough so you are able to start a sprint every minute
– After 10 sprints, do a light cool down jog for 5 minutes and you are done!
NOTE: If the sprint/jog combination is too intense, use a jog/walk combination instead and substitute the 1 minute interval to 2 minutes. You can work your way up to the sprints.
Completing this intense 20 minute workout in the morning will allow you to sit back, relax, and enjoy the rest of the day. Remember to drink lots of water and protect yourself from the sun. The best time to do this workout is early in the morning before the extreme heat beats down on the beach.